MADRID — A Spanish court has suspended a strike called by the Players’ Union (AFE), allowing the final two rounds of La Liga’s season to go forward.
Spain’s National Court announced its decision on Thursday, ruling in favor of the league’s request to temporarily suspend the strike. The court’s ruling was made on the condition that the league deposit a bond of €5 million ($5.7 million) by 3 p.m. local time.
The players’ union said last week it would strike from Saturday in protest of a proposed government law to regulate television revenues. The strike was backed by the Spanish federation (RFEF).
The court’s ruling on Thursday was followed by the Spanish federation also announcing that it had called off its plans to suspend matches in support of the strike.
Barcelona lead Real Madrid by four points and can clinch the league title with a win at Atletico Madrid on Sunday. They will also play Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey final on May 30, a match that had been threatened by the strike.
Judge Ricardo Bodas Matin said in his ruling that the court had temporarily suspended the strike because “it would provoke a great organisational disorder that would be difficult to resolve.”
Bodas Matin added that the ruling was “provisional” and “could be modified” when the court further studies the union’s reasons for wanting to strike.