After Philippe Coutinho’s move to Barcelona yesterday, that has now set the rumour mill into overdrive as a chain of transfer activity is set to follow, with that in mind there is a whole host of gossip to debunk so without further ado here is what is making the news on the Sunday back pages.
As always – gossip in plain text, may views in bold
Liverpool are set to sign Riyad Mahrez with the 26-year-old Leicester City and Algeria forward expected to have a medical on Sunday. (Bein Sports) With Liverpool having money to burn, the question is who will be the man to replace Philippe Coutinho, it looks as if that man could well be Riyad Mahrez. £55m is certainly a bid that would suit all parties.
The Reds are prepared to move quickly to fill the void left by Philippe Coutinho’s departure, with Monaco’s 22-year-old winger Thomas Lemar top of their wanted list. (Liverpool Echo) Although another avenue could be Thomas Lemar but I reckon the capture of Mahrez is more likely.
Manchester City are set to put in a £25m bid for Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez, 29, but that move could put an end to their interest in Real Sociedad defender Inigo Martinez, 25. (Sunday Mirror) Surely they have the money for both, it shouldn’t necessarily be a case of either or. Not to mention the two players play in completely different positions.
Manchester United are set to step up their attempt to bring Gareth Bale, 28, from Real Madrid to Old Trafford before the end of the transfer window. (Sunday Express) I can’t see Bale moving in January, I think it will be the Summer when Real Madrid clear the decks especially after Barcelona have been spending so much money this season.
Manager Mauricio Pellegrino says Southampton hope to re-sign Arsenal and England winger Theo Walcott, 28. (ESPN) Just a repeat of a story from earlier in the week.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could cut short his latest contract and move into the boardroom in the summer – and the 68-year-old Frenchman wants Gunners coach Mikel Arteta as his replacement. (Sunday Mirror) Is this the news that Arsenal fans want to hear, is that the replacement they would expect?
Derby manager Gary Rowett, 43, and Republic of Ireland boss Martin O’Neill, 65, head Stoke’s list to replace Mark Hughes. (Stoke Sentinel) Gary Rowett would be more of a punt but you would have to say he deserves the opportunity, whether he wants to switch Derby for Stoke though?
Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes has ruled out selling 30-year-old midfielder Arturo Vidal to Chelsea in the January transfer window. (Mail on Sunday) Chelsea’s hopes of signing Vidal have been slammed shut.
Jese Rodriguez, 24, is close to signing for his hometown club of Las Palmas. The Spanish forward is currently on loan at Stoke from Paris St-Germain. (AS – in Spanish) A loan move that started brightly has fizzled out, he had a loan stint at Las Palmas previously and a return is now on the cards on a permanent basis.
Manchester United will not face any competition from Chelsea for 26-year-old Alex Sandro should they make a move for the Juventus defender. (Calciomercato.com, via Manchester Evening News) Will someone please sign Alex Sandro, please
Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe expects 29-year-old striker Lewis Grabban to depart during the transfer window. (Bournemouth Echo) A smash and Grabban perhaps?
Fleetwood Town goalkeeper Chris Neal earned himself a year’s supply of pizza after keeping a clean sheet against Leicester in the FA Cup. (BBC Sport) Magic of the Cup and all that.
Eight-time Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt, 31, says he has held talks with former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson about the prospect of playing for the Old Trafford club. (Sunday Express) Yeah good one mate
Former Germany, Arsenal and Bayern Munich star Lukas Podolski has unveiled his new project – a kebab restaurant in his home city of Cologne. (Mail on Sunday) This is NEWS!!