Home / Football / Everton vs Manchester City a few quick thoughts
Everton vs Manchester City a few quick thoughts
- It’s advantage Everton after they had Goodison Park rocking last night
- A slender lead but Roberto Martinez’s side fully deserved their win
- Sergio Aguero was back in the side but I don’t think he is quite at full fitness
- Everton were on top for the first half hour or so and were getting a lot of joy with the diagonal ball to Romelu Lukaku just like they did on Sunday against Spurs
- Then they correctly had two goals disallowed for Offside and they may have had every right to feel like it wasn’t going to be their night
- But just before half time Funes Mori poked Everton in front after Ross Barkley’s shot was rebounded. Manuel Pellegrini felt this also should have been ruled out but thankfully for The Toffee’s the flag stayed down.
- It was a miserable half for Eliaquim Mangala who was subbed off at half time
- Lukaku had a good opportunity to make it 2-0 just after half time but spurned his chance. He had trouble timing his runs last night as he was found offside and infuriating amount of times
- City started coming more into the game, firstly blasted wide on the hour and then Joel Robles was forced to make a save from Kevin De Bruyne’s effort
- Everton couldn’t keep City at bay forever and a great counter attacking goal from an Everton corner levelled things up. Fernandinho’s excellent long ball found Aguero who played a perfect pass to Jesus Nevas who restored parity
- Only it didn’t last long. It was a poor night for City’s Centre Backs as Martin Demichelis didn’t pick up Romelu Lukaku who this time timed his run right and got what turned out to be the winning goal.
- Everton had a tense finish as they ened the game with 10 men due to all theirt substitutions being made and Seamus Coleman going off injured but they managed to withhold the last City pressure and put themselves in the driving seat for the 2nd leg in 3 weeks time.
- Will failure to get to the final heap more pressure Manuel Pellegrini, his City side now have it all to do if they are to reach a second League Cup Final in 3 years.